Gloucester Township's Top Sports Stories of 2012
A look at the most widely read stories and our choices for the top stories in sports in Gloucester Township in 2012.
It was another great year for sports programs in Gloucester Township.
From youth baseball to high-school football, there were plenty of championship victories.
In this article, we'll run down the top 10 most-read sports stories of the year, as well as our choices for the top 3 sports stories of the year.
First, the top 10 most-read sports stories (with publication date noted in italics):
10. Triton's Bullock Commits to La Salle Nov. 15
9. Three Stallions Teams Win Titles Nov. 26
4. Erial Wins District 14 Title July 11
3. Erial Little League Riding 'Crazy Train' July 3
While those were the most-read stories in Gloucester Township Patch in 2012, here are our top sports stories of the year (yes, there is some crossover):
3. Lambert Officially Commits to Rutgers Feb. 1 - Timber Creek's Quanzell Lambert was one of the top linebacker recruits in the country in the class of 2012. He verbally committed to Rutgers in January, but then the school's now-former head coach, Greg Schiano, bolted to become coach of the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Lambert must have liked what he heard from Schiano's successor, Kyle Flood, signing with Rutgers on Feb. 1.
2. Slam Propels Blackwood 10-11s to Section 4 Title July 31 - While it was Erial Little League's 11- and 12-year-old team that provided all the excitement on the baseball front the summer of 2011, it was Blackwood Kiwanis Little League's 10- and 11-year-old team that went on a run this year.
1. Timber Creek Football Repeats as Champions Dec. 8 - Led by head coach Rob Hinson, Timber Creek has emerged in the past two years as not only one of the top football programs in South Jersey, but as the top program in South Jersey. The Erial school now boasts back-to-back South Jersey championship seasons, after the 57-27 dismantling of Kingsway in the Group 4 title game.