GTPD Offers New Year's Eve Safety Tips
Did you know most alcohol-related crashes on New Year's Eve occur between 8 p.m. and 2 a.m.? Find more safety tips from Gloucester Township Police below.
Gloucester Township Police Department wants to wish everyone a happy and safe New Year. The following tips are provided to help you be safe on New Year’s Eve.
- Bring only what you need in your handbag or wallet, such as your driver’s license, money and one credit card. Don’t take your department store credit cards, gift cards or any other valuables that you might normally carry with you.
- While it’s fun to share where you are on social media sites, beware of doing so, as you are publicly alerting others that you are not at home.
- If you plan on drinking, don’t drive! Protect yourself and others by having a designated driver.
- Auto accidents due to alcohol consumption are highest between 8 p.m. and 2 a.m., so avoid being on the road at those times.
- Use public transportation or take a cab both to and from the celebration so you can avoid leaving your car in a strange place overnight.
- If you are driving, make sure to park in a well-lit area that’s populated.
- Check that your windows are rolled up, doors are locked and valuables are out of sight.
- Be on guard and aware of your surroundings.
- If you’re attending a large party where there are crowds, travel with a group or in pairs.
- Make sure everyone has a “buddy” who can confirm they got home safely at the end of the night.
- If you become separated from your group, check with the bar/party staff so they can contact a taxi company for you.
- Do not leave drinks unattended. Finish it before you hit the restroom or dance floor.
- Don’t forget to eat, and drink water or non-alcoholic beverages in between alcoholic ones.
- It’s not just people behind the wheel you have to pay attention to when you go home. Watch out for intoxicated walkers who pay no attention to lights or crosswalks.
- If you are doing the walking, do not go alone as you may be setting yourself up for an attacker to target you. Pay attention to where you are going and look for bumps, holes and curbs to avoid injury.
- Call the police if you see anything illegal or suspicious taking place.
Editor's Note: Check back with Gloucester Township Patch on Monday for a list of area taxicab companies and their phone numbers to take with you New Year's Eve.