Lucky Charms and Pub Crawls
This weekend, Gloucester Township Patch finds ways to celebrate all things Irish and presents a mix of adult- and kid-friendly fun.
As an adult, I have a new-found love for St. Patrick's Day. Although I'm not Irish, the day marks a milestone in my life. It is the day my beautiful twin girls were born. This weekend, I'll celebrate their sixth birthday.
As much fun as partying with kindergartners can be, it will be nice to kick back and have some adult time once their birthday is over. This week's Get Out features a good mix of events—for 6-year-olds, beer drinkers and all those in between.
- Where/When: Voorhees Town Center, Somerdale and Burnt Mill roads, Voorhees; tonight, 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- What's Going On: Before you start celebrating St. Patrick's Day, take a moment to greet the Easter Bunny. The bunny will make its seasonal debut at the Voorhees Town Center tonight at his butterfly garden. Children will love seeing the bunny and storytime with Mrs. Lisa, an Easter Parade from Boscov's Court to Macy's Butterfly Wonderland, crafts, games and more. A balloon artist and caricature artist will perform from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Price: Free (fees charged for photos with the Easter Bunny)
- Where/When: Broadway Theatre of Pitman, 43 S. Broadway, Pitman; Friday, 10 a.m., Saturday, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- What's Going On: The Broadway Theatre of Pitman isn't thinking Easter yet. Its performers are celebrating St. Patrick's Day. This production is meant for the kids and features four famous Irish stories. The theater's website vows there will be plenty of shamrocks, shalalies and even a pot of gold!
- Price: $9, sales tax and handling fees may apply
- Where/When: Broadway Theatre of Pitman, 43 S. Broadway, Pitman; Friday and Saturday, 8 p.m., Sunday, 2 p.m.
- What's Going On: For the grown-ups, the Broadway Theatre of Pitman will perform Noises Off. The theater's website gives us a peak into the plot of this farce: watch the on- and off-stage antics of a mediocre touring company as they stumble from dress rehearsal to the disastrous last night of their comedy play, Nothing On. In this play-within-a-play, absolutely everything that can go wrong does, making for some good laughs for the audience.
- Price: $25, sales tax and handling fees may apply
- Where/When: Our Lady of Hope Parish, 701 Little Gloucester Rd., Blackwood; Saturday, 7 to 11 p.m.
- What's Going On: Some people might think that beer at church is wrong. Because St. Patrick's Day is celebrated by many as the end of Lenten season, meaning self-imposed food and drinking restrictions are lifted, beer at church kind of makes sense. Besides, this charity event is a good time. It includes good food, music, beer and a Chinese auction, and all proceeds will go to People for the Poor, helping local soup kitchens and homeless shelters. Did we mention—all contributions are tax deductible?
- Price: $25
- Where/When: Garden State Discovery Museum, 2040 Springdale Rd., Cherry Hill; Saturday, 12 to 3 p.m.
- What's going On: This event is a break from the usual holiday-themed days at the Garden State Discovery Museum and it promises to be a tasty good time. The museum will offer California-style cuisine, inspired by the restaurant. There will be hearth-baked pizzas and fresh salads for you to try. The museum will also be wrapping up their Bubble Week celebration, and there are lots of attractions for the kids to explore.
- Price: $10.95 + tax for adults and children 12 months and over; $9.95 plus tax for seniors.
- Where/When: McFadden's, 461 N 3rd St., Philadelphia; Saturday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- What's Going On: This event is all about the beer and getting it at a discount if you are registered for the pub crawl. Visit different watering holes in the city and have fun toasting to St. Patrick's Day. Registering for the bar crawl at McFadden's buys you a wristband, cup, and you will qualify for drink specials at each stop. Participating bars include McFadden's, Philadelphia Bar and Restaurant, Mad River Bar and Grille, The Raven Lounge, Tavern on Broad, Tabu Lounge and Sports Bar, and Blue Bear Tavern.
- Price: $15 to $20 to register, drink special prices vary