A fire started by a flaming rag in the garage heavily damaged a home in the Wye Oak development Thursday evening, Gloucester Township Police said.
Firefighters from Erial, Lambs Terrace, Pine Hill and Winslow were called out to the scene on Annapolis Drive around 7 p.m., with the fire burning through the garage into the home’s attic, police said, and it took about 45 minutes to bring the fire completely under control.
No one was home at the time of the fire, which started when a rag, which was left too close to a running generator in the garage, caught fire and lit other flammable materials nearby, according to the Camden County Fire Marshals Office.
In addition to the fire damage, the home also took heavy smoke and water damage, police said. No one was hurt in the fire.