Gloucester Township police marked Human Trafficking Awareness Day over the weekend and are also publicizing an event next week on the issue at the Blackwood campus of Camden County College.
The goal is to raise awareness of the modern day slavery associated with human trafficking.
"Human trafficking is a borderless crime against individuals that violates the most basic human rights and deprives victims of every shred of personal freedom," police said.
Camden County College will host a Human Trafficking Community Awareness Event on Jan. 22 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Dennis Flyer Theater on its campus in the Blackwood section of Gloucester Township.
The United Nations’ International Labor Organization has estimated 12.3 million adult and children worldwide are currently in forced labor, bonded labor, or forced prostitution. Approximately 80% of the victims are women and girls and 50% are younger than age 18.
Human trafficking is not just an international problem.
- Human trafficking generates $9.5 billion yearly in the United States. (United Nations)
- Approximately300,000 children are at risk of being prostituted in the United States. (U.S. Department of Justice)
- The average age of entry into prostitution for a child victim in the United States is13-14 years old. (U.S. Department of Justice)
- A pimp can make$150,000-$200,000 per child each year and the average pimp has 4 to 6 girls. (U.S. Justice Department, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children)
- The average victim may be forced to have sex up to 20-48 times a day. (Polaris Project)
- Department Of Justice has identified the top twenty human trafficking jurisdictions in the country:” Houston• El Paso• Los Angeles• Atlanta• Chicago• Charlotte• Miami• Las Vegas• New York• Long Island• New Orleans• Washington, D.C.• Philadelphia• Phoenix• Richmond• San Diego• San Francisco• St Louis• Seattle• Tampa (Department of Justice)
- One in three runaway teens on the street will be lured toward prostitution within 48 hours of leaving home.(National Runaway Hotline)