Man Brought Weapons to 'Deal With Police' at Gloucester Twp. Station: Authorities

George Wahl arrived at police headquarters for questioning carrying an retractable baton and knives, police allege.

A suspect in a hit-and-run crash involving his ex-wife arrived for questioning at Gloucester Township Police headquarters Thursday afternoon carrying a retractable baton and two knives, saying he brought the weapons to "deal with police," authorities allege. 

The events leading up to the incident began earlier Thursday, when police were dispatched to Chews Landing Road and Hider Lane for a report of a hit-and-run crash. Officers determined the crash was a case involving domestic violence, in which a driver intentionally struck his ex-wife's vehicle as she was driving. The victim was not injured in the crash. 

Police determined George Wahl, 50, of Laurel Springs, was the driver who crashed into the victim's vehicle, and contacted him by telephone to request he come to the police station to provide a statement.

Wahl arrived at the police station around 4:30 p.m. Thursday, and police said they determined he had tried to fix the damage to his vehicle from the crash, as he'd previously worked at an auto-body shop. While questioning Wahl, officers noticed a "police-style" expandable metal baton tucked into his belt line, under his shirt, according to police Sgt. John Swack.

Wahl was taken into custody, and police seized the baton. Police said they also found Wahl was carrying two folding knives, in his pockets. 

Wahl told investigators he "brought the weapons to deal with police," according to Swack. 

"It is unknown what Mr. Wahl's exact intentions were, however the alert actions of the officers to disarm Mr. Wahl prevented him from the opportunity to cause further violence," Swack said in a release. 

Wahl was charged with aggravated assault in the crash, and with weapons offenses, including being prohibited from possessing a weapon. He was held in the Camden County Jail in lieu of $50,000 full cash bail. 

Wahl has a prior conviction for cocaine possession in Atlantic County, according to court records. 

In an unrelated incident in December 2012 involving another domestic-violence case, three township officers were injured when they were shot inside police headquarters by a man authorities said disarmed one of the officers. 

The alleged shooter—Eddie Jones III, 39, of Willingboro—was killed in return fire.

The shooting incident happened after Jones had been taken into custody on suspicion he was stalking an ex-girlfriend.

All three officers recovered from their injuries. 

Charles March 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM
More good work by the 98%ers of GTPD! Thanks.
diana March 29, 2013 at 10:58 PM
this man is a moron..doesn't he know that the police win everytime. I think he needs a psychological evaluation for just thinking....keys check...cell phone ..check... wallet..check..and 3 freaking knives so the police don't mess with me...in their house..really total moron
Virginia Sloan March 30, 2013 at 09:14 PM
What happened to the four teen boys that were beat by several Gloucester Township police officers. Is this case still being investigated? http://ru-crazy.com/2011/08/09/teen-brothers-beat-down-by-cops/
Megatron13 March 31, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Oh you mean the innocent "kids" that threatened to kill a store clerk then fought with police? By the way nice article. So glad you decided to get it from such a reputable source........
Charles April 02, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Did the article include pix of these cherubic little fellows (from 5 years ago when they were cherubic)? Isn't that the usual procedure for inflammatory articles?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »