Now that the holidays are approaching us as quickly as an Andy Murray serve, it's time to review some ideas of potential tennis gifts for that special player or player-to-be on your shopping list. Whether beginner, intermediate or advanced, there is likely to be a selection that will give you "Game, Set, Match!"
- Rafa by Rafael Nadal (2011)
- Open by Andre Agassi (2010)
- A Champion's Mind by Pete Sampras (2009)
- You Cannot be Serious by John McEnroe (2003)
- High Strung: Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe (The Rivalry) (2011) by Steve Tignor
- Tennis Confidential II by Paul Fein and Mary Carillo (2008)
- Game. Set. Life. by Ed Tseng (2008)
- Tennis Beyond Big Shots by Greg Moran (2006, revised 2008)
DVDs (some recommendations):
- 2000 Agassi vs. Rafter Wimbledon Semifinal
- 2001 Patrick Rafter vs. Goran Ivanisevic Wimbledon Final
- 2001 Roger Federer vs. Pete Sampras Wimbledon 4th round
- 2008 Rafael Nadal vs. Roger Federer Wimbledon Final
- 2009 Andy Roddick vs. Roger Federer Wimbledon Final
- 2001 Peter Sampras vs. Andre Agassi U.S. Open Quarterfinal
- 2006 Andre Agassi vs. Marcos Baghdatis U.S. Open 2nd round
- Athletic towel - For the serious player, consider a licensed design from a Grand Slam tournament such as Wimbledon, U.S. Open, French Open or Australian Open.
- Tennis gear bag - Head, Wilson, etc. Be aware of how many rackets it needs to hold.
- Wristbands and/or headband
- Cap or tennis visor
- Overgrip wrap Comes in colors, adds 1/16 inch in diameter to racket grip.
- Tennis balls Buy these by the case.
- Gift card For a new racket (since it is too difficult to choose someones' stick)
- Tennis ball machine These start at about $200.
- Tennis pickup basket
- Portable tennis ball cart Go with the Gamma EZ Travel Cart w/ bag.
- Cones or colored spots Use these for ball control training.
- Agility ladder Use this for footwork training.
- Doorway pullup bar Use this for upper-body strengthening
- Medicine ball Use this for core strengthening.
- Warmup suit
- Shorts and Shirt combos
- Tennis sneakers
- Junior racket
- 19" (ages 2-3) up to 3' tall
- 21" (ages 4-5) up to 3'11" tall
- 23" (ages 6-8) up to 4'5" tall
- 25" or 26" (ages 9-12) up to 5' tall
- QuickStart tennis balls
- Foam (ages 2-4)
- Red Felt (ages 5-6)
- Orange Felt (ages 7-8)
- Green Felt (ages 9-10)
- Portable net (10' to 18' wide, 30" tall)
- Refillable water bottle
- Tennis towel
- Tennis bag
- Tennis ball carrier (Gamma EZ Travel Cart bag) (cart optional)
- Tickets to a pro tour tennis match or exhibition
- Gift certificate for prepaid lessons with a local recreational pro instructor
- USTA 10 and under junior membership (special FREE offer from the USTA in 2012) (expires 12/31/2012)
If you have any other ideas, thoughts or questions, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com or 856-359-GPTS (4787).
Also, be sure to check out my annual holiday podcast at Gotta Play Tennis on iTunes or as a link from my website at www.gottaplaytennis.net.
Ron Miller is a PTR certified tennis instructor who teaches group and private lessons for kids and adults through Gloucester Township Recreation in the SJ area. His website and podcast (in iTunes) provide free instructional content for beginners to advanced players.